I couldn’t help but check the astrological calendar this morning to see if Mercury is in retrograde, because my life just seems to be a bit too hectic lately. According to the calendar, the dates are Oct 4-25, so I cringe to think of what can happen. As a working mother, my life is nonstop! As a business owner, life can be somewhat stressful. As a person, I am a bit tightly wound, very OCD and extremely passionate about my business–stir that all together and I pretty much have the force of a tornado. With that said, I have to make sure that I take time out of all the businesses to find time to decompress, otherwise KABOOM. I have to admit, this is a bit easier said than done because I am a work junkie. It’s really hard when you love what you do, because you don’t always want to get off the ride. However as my kids start to get older, I have realized the importance of quality family time and just taking time out of my day for me.
This past summer, I decided to disconnect from business for 3 whole weeks. This was huge for me. For the first time in my work history, I didn’t read or respond to work emails and I just spent my days relaxing and traveling with my family. With having that down time, I feel like I’ve years added back to my life. I was able to go back to work fully recharged and ready to climb Mount Everest. Since not everybody is going to be able to take large chunks out of their schedules, it’s really important to make the most of your time during the week. Some of the things I do are:
- Keeping organized (there’s nothing but structure in our house from weekly planned out meals to recorded schedules). For me, the routine lends itself to calm the crazed energy down in our house.
- Turn off and be willing to step away from the technology–especially at night and when driving!!!! In the past I would wake up in the middle of the night to read a text or an email; don’t do it!!!
- Exercise: Do yoga, meditate, go for a walk, swim–get your blood flowing. Find the time to make this happen.
- Have a spa day once in a while. Massages do wonders; if not go for a mani or pedi, get your hair cut.
- Read a book: The only time I ever seem to read a book is when I’m on vacation.
- Go out with friends: Have lunch or dinner dates.
- Take a long hot relaxing bath; soak in a hot tub.
- Have a date night with your spouse or significant other.
- Eat well and healthy. Have a glass of wine, but be sure not to over indulge. Drink plenty of water.
- Take vitamins and minerals to boost your immune system.
- Hire someone to clean your house–even if it’s every other week this is so worth it.
- Take weekend trips if you can; if not, take a day trip to the beach or lake will do wonders
- Listen to music: For me, I’m all about the 70’s. Playing calm music has a positive effect on the brain and body, can lower blood pressure, and reduce cortisol, a hormone linked to stress.
- Do Breathing exercises.
These are some of the things I’ve been practicing lately and I have to say they have helped me tremendously!
Written by Terri / Published by Jennifer